PROVERBS in SONGS
(Updated on 01/04/2011)
- A Bird In The Hand by Ice Cube :
"But a bird in the hand is worth more than the bush"
(Proverb : 'A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.')
- Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder by Dean Martin
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words by B.B. King - UPDATED
- Bow Wow by Johnny Guitar Watson :
"A friend in need is a friend indeed"
- Pure morning by Placebo :
"A friend in needs a friend indeed"
- Where There's A Will by Supertramp :
"Where there's a will, there's a way
Or so they say
A friend in need is a friend indeed"
- Them belly full ( But we hungry ) by Bob Marley :
"A hungry man is an angry man"
- Jack Of All Trades by Eurythmics :
"jack of all trades master of none"
(Proverb : 'A jack of all trades is the master of none')
- A Little Bird Told Me by Evelyn Knight :
"A little bird told me that you love me
And I believe that you do..."
- Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World sung by U2
"Nothin' much to say I guess
You're just the same as all the rest
Been tryin' to throw your arms around the world
And a woman needs a man
Like a fish needs a bicycle"
- I'll Oilwells Love You by Dolly Parton :
"We'll live happily ever after because all is well that ends well"
- All that glitters by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark :
"All that glitters
Is not gold.
So don't believe everything
You've been told."
- Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life by Monty Python :
"You must always face the curtain with a bow...
Life's a piece of shit...
Life's a laugh and death's a joke"
- A Man's Home Is His Castle by Faith Hill
- The Mercy Seat by Nick Cave :
"An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth"
- April Showers by Al Jolson :
"Though April showers may come your way,
They bring the flowers that bloom in May."
(Proverb : 'April showers bring forth May flowers')
- Highway Chile by Jimi Hendrix :
"A rolling stone gathers no moss"
- Stitch In Time by Genitorturers :
"Stitch in time saves nine
But now it's just too late"
(Proverb : 'A stitch in time saves nine')
- Nightmare by Wicked Angel :
"and You shall reap just what you sow"
(Proverb : 'As you sow, so you shall reap')
- At night by De Vision :
"But at night all cats are grey"
- (At) The end (of a rainbow) by Earl Grant :
"At the end of a rainbow, you'll find a pot of gold"
- Bad news travels fast (Fuzztones)
- Beat Around The Bush by Endo
(Proverb : 'Beat about the bush')
- Beauty Is Only Skin Deep by The Temptations
- Bed of roses by Bette Midler or Bon Jovi : - UPDATED
"I'm tired of trying to be free.
Gonna lay down like a sigh in my bed of roses.
Bed of roses I believed my life would be."
- We Are The Champions by Queen - UPDATED
"... it's been no bed of roses"
Lonely Nights by Bryan Adams :
"You know beggars can't be choosers"
Street Kids by Elton John :
"But beggars can't be choosers"
- Better Late Than Never by Counterfit
- Better Safe Than Sorry by Steve Holloway and Cara Jones
- Wash Away The Poison by Edguy :
"Between the devil and the deep sea
I don't know how to carry on"
- Strange Phenomena by Kate Bush :
"Soul-birds of a feather flock together."
- Boys Will Be Boys by Backstreet Boys
- Hymns To The Silence by Van Morrison :
"Yeah in the midnight, in the midnight, I burn the candle
Burn the candle at both ends..."
- Victory by Puff Daddy :
"Better now than never, business before pleasure"
- Business Is Business by PMD
- Can't Have Your Cake by Motley Crue :
"I guess what mama said was true
Can't have your cake and eat it too, babe"
- Carpe Diem Baby by Metallica :
"Come carpe diem baby"
- Charity Begins At Home by 10cc
- Worn Out Words by Satanic Surfers :
"Choose between the lesser of two evils..."
- Come Rain or Come Shine by Eric Clapton
- Come What May by Air Supply
- Driver's Seat by Sniff 'N' the Tears :
A little jiving on a Saturday night
And come what may
Gonna dance the day away"
- Natural by S Club 7 :
"come what may"
- Have You Ever by The Offspring - with activities (isabelperez.com)
" Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay"
- Dead Men Tell No Tales by Cypress Hill
- Zimbabwe by Bob Marley :
"To divide and rule could only tear us apart"
- Do It Yourself by Gloria Gaynor - UPDATED
- This Little Game We Play by 702 :
"Baby don't start anything you can't finish"
- Violent & Funky by Infectious Grooves :
"A penny saved is a penny earned, but a stolen case of beers gets you a hell of a lot drunker
Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and boring"
(Proverb : 'Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise')
- Easier Said Than Done by Angie Stone
- New Flat by Nits :
"East west home's best
There's no place like home"
- Be yourself by The Fugees :
"Be yourself, easy as A-B-C"
- Easy come easy go by Kelis
- Lady Antebellum - One Day You Will (lyrics007.com)
"In every cloud there's a silver lining"
+ the VIDEO (YouTube)
"Every cloud has a silver lining" - Meaning :
"Every bad situation has some good aspect to it. This proverb is usually said as an encouragement to a person who is overcome by some difficulty and is unable to see any positive way forward."
- Silver Lining by Gang Of Four :
"Your look will always find me hypnotized
Behind every cloud there's a silver lining"
(Proverb : 'Every cloud has a silver lining.')
- Every Dog Has His Day by Cadillac Moon
- Every Picture Tells a Story by Rod Stewart
- The Language Of Love by Dan Fogelberg :
"It's tooth for tooth
And eye for eye"
- Inside by Orphanage :
"My faith will move mountains."
- Shop Around by New Edition :
"First come first served is the way
Some do it but not me"
- First Things First by LMNO - UPDATED
- Forbidden Fruit by Jessica Simpson - UPDATED
('Forbidden fruit is the sweetest')
- Forgive And Forget by Blondie
- Century After Century by Idlewild :
"You're naked except for a newspaper, the headline telling me
That fortune favours the brave"
- Grin and Bear it by Impellitteri
- True Love by Robert Palmer :
"And handsome is as handsome does"
- United we stand, Divided we fall by Hanker :
"He who lives by the sword dies agonizing"
(Proverb : 'He who lives by the sword dies by the sword')
- The Piper Calls The Tune by UB40 - UPDATED
(Proverb : 'He who pays the piper calls the tune')
- Home is where the heart is by Peter, Paul and Mary
- Home Sweet Home by Peter Gabriel
- Sweep Around Your Own Front Door by Williams Brothers :
"Sweep around your own front door before you try to sweep around mine"
(Proverb : 'If each would sweep before his own door we should have a clean street.')
- Under Pressure by David Bowie / Queen :
"These are the days it never rains but it pours"
- It never rains but it pours by Gilbert O'Sullivan
- Small World by Cliff Richard :
"It's a small world, a small world
When you reach out and touch a stranger"
- Keys to your heart by John Waite :
"And it's love that makes the world go round"
- Cup Of Tea by The Verve Pipe :
"At graduation everyone
Will throw their hats into sun
Then they'll drop like flies to the sea
This is not my cup of tea"
(Proverb : 'It's not my cup of tea')
- When its Raining Cats and Dogs by PM Dawn :
"So when it's raining cats and dogs.
I won't complain and I won't mind.
When it's raining cats and dogs
I'll understand the reasons why..."
- Blow your whistle by Petey Pablo :
"You can keep your shirt on"
- Socrates by Avril Lavigne :
"As Socrates said, "Know thyself!"
- Knowledge Is Power by No Cash :
"detention, suspension and power tripping "teachers"
feed me candy flavored lies like priests, nuns and preachers
told what to wear and what to think when to piss and when to speak..."
- Laugh and the world laughs with you by Jack Scott :
"Laugh - And The World Laughs With You
Cry - and you Cry Alone"
(Proverb : Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and you are on your own.)
- Walk Before You Run by Lacy J. Dalton :
"And you got to learn to walk before
you run (dontcha' know)
And you learn to stand
For something or you'll fall"
(Proverb : 'Learn to walk before you run')
- Let it Be by The Beatles
- Let Sleeping Dogs Lie by Sheena Easton
- Life Is Real (Song For Lennon) by Queen :
"Life is cruel life is a bitch"
- Life is just a bowl of cherries by Joe Jackson
- Poisoning Pigeons In The Park by Tom Lehrer :
"Life is skittles and life is beer."
(Proverb : 'Life is not all beer and skittles')
- Like father like son by Elton John or Lenny Kravitz or Aida
- Ladies first by Queen Latifah :
"Like mother, like daughter, I would also like to mention"
- Tired of Talking by Gerry Rafferty :
"Now little by little, and bit by bit, the truth is slowly dawning"
- Live and learn by The Cardigans
- Look Before You Leap by Dave Clark Five