is for AIM
What do the letters AIM stand for? ________________________________________________________________________
Why was it founded ?
Because of the dark violence of __________________________________________________________________________
is for Buffalo
name of the General who said that the extermination of the buffaloes
would help for the extermination of the Native Americans.
C is Chiefs ( Page 1 + Page
2 + Page 3 + Page
4 + Page 5 )
is for Doctors
|What was the
basis of the Native American medicine?
is for Europeans
When did the first contact between Europeans and Native Americans take
What was the expedition looking for? ______________________________________________________________________
is for Flight
was a sacred bird.
Who was allowed to wear feathers of the eagle?
Who was allowed to kill the eagle?
Give the names of two other sacred animals:
is for Genocide
Give the definition
Give five categories of genocidal activities:
is for Homes
Complete this chart :
is for Indian
Read the legend and then put it back in order
a. When the woman walked
into his village, he had already completed his task.
She then told the people of the village that she came from Heaven
and was here on earth to teach them how to live and what their future
b. When she was finished
she turned into a white buffalo calf, then turned the colour black,
then last she turned yellow, representing the colours of the four
directions. Then she disappeared.
c. This Lakota myth tells
of two men who were on a hunting trip when they noticed a beautiful
young woman walking towards them.
She was dressed in white buckskin and carried a bundle on her back.
d. One of the men had
bad thought about her, but the moment he approached her, he was
suddenly surrounded by a white mist.
When the mist dispersed, nothing of the man remained but a skeleton.
e. She gave the people
maize, taught them the use of the pipe, and taught them the seven
Furthermore, she gave them colours for the four winds or directions.
f. The woman turned to
the other man and she told him to go home and prepare a big lodge
The man ran home and did exactly what she had told him to do.
is for John Dunbar
Dances with Wolves is the story of the man who went in search _____________________________and
Give one argument for this film: _______________________________________________________________________
Give one argument against this film:
is for Wounded
How many people died? ___________________________________________________________________________
How long did it take? ______________________________________________________________________________
What was the soldiers’ excuse? ______________________________________________________________________
L is for Locating
cultures- Map 1 + Map 2
On this map:
- Colour the different culture areas.
- Indicate what your colour correspond to.
- Place these tribes: Nez Perce – Navajo – Zuni –
Dakota – Cheyenne – Comanche – Illinois – Iroquois
– Powhatan - Cherokee
is for Mustang Horses
(Click on "Kiger Mustang")
|Who brought the horse
to America and when?
Among the Indians, which tribe was considered to have the best horsemen?
is for Native
The English language has borrowed some words of Indian origin. Give examples:
O is for Oral
Why were several hundred Navajo Americans recruited as Marines and trained
(Search the Vault : Type "Windtalkers".)
Their code is considered to
is for Plains + Plants + Animals
- Give the names of the tribes living on the plains: _________________________________________________________
- What sort of homes did they live in? __________________________________________________________________
- Indicate 4 plants growing on the plains:________________________________________________________________
- Indicate 4 animals living on the plains:_________________________________________________________________
is for Queen
||- name: ____________________________________________________________________________
- date and place of birth: _______________________________________________________________
- father’s name and occupation: _________________________________________________________
- from 1608 to 1609: __________________________________________________________________
- April, 1613: ________________________________________________________________________
- April, 1614: ________________________________________________________________________
- 1616: _____________________________________________________________________________
- March, 1617: _______________________________________________________________________
- Does Disney’s version of Pocahontas correspond to historic
is for Reservations
- Give examples of
energy resources that can be found on reservations today:
- What is the controversy (=problem)? _________________________________________________________________
is for Sacred
||- Mount Rushmore
was created on a Native American sacred site. What did the Sioux create
there in reaction to this insult?
- What did they want the white man to know? ___________________________________________________________________________________
- Are there any pictures, photos or paintings of Crazy Horse? Why?
is for Totem
A totem pole served as the emblem of ______________________________________________________________
is for United
States of America
Here is the list of the USA. Circle the names of Indian origin.
is for Vote
When did the American Indians win the right to vote and become true citizens?
W is for Writing
Use picture writing to transcript this message on the hide:
the chief took his horse and left to hunt the buffalo in the mountains.
But the clouds arrived and it started raining.
He returned at noon. He was sad…
Picture writing :
In picture writing, they used small drawn symbols that stood for ideas
Picture writing was used to decorate their homes and often painted on
buffalo hides to record important events of the life of the tribe.
Have a look at these symbols:
Y, Z, it’s the end!