- -ian (Italian, Norwegian)
- -ean (Chilean, Korean)
- -an (American, Mexican)
- -ese (Chinese, Japanese)
- -er (Icelander, New Zealander)
- -ic (Icelandic, Greenlandic)
- -ish (English, Irish)
- -i (Iraqi, Pakistani)
Using suffixes - PowerPoint Presentation
Click on ENGLISH / Suffixes
Killers and Killing - with definitions
"All of these words end in 'cide', from Latin caedere, to kill.
However, some of them refer exclusively to the act of killing a specific thing (e.g. herbicide) while others can refer alternately to the act itself or
to the person performing the act (e.g. homicide)."
Fighting and Combat - with definitions
"These words, all very obscure, refer to fighting, combat or conflict, whether actual or metaphorical, using the suffix "machy"
(from the Greek mache, a fight)."
phobo-, phob-, -phobia, -phobias, -phobe, -phobiac, -phobist, -phobic, -phobism, -phobous
ablutophobia - with a funny illustration (COPYRIGHT)
- Medical Terminology
Prefixes / Suffixes / Medical word roots / Word part lists / Self assessment
tasks / Pronunciation / Glossary, a search engine
- From Wikipedia - with a list of words ending
simple - pronunciation - (British Council)
"At the top are 24 regular verbs in the past simple.
Below are 3 boxes, each for a differently pronounced ending.
Can you put the words in the right boxes?"
Simple Ending Pronunciation - (Isabel Perez)
"Choose the correct pronunciation for each verb"
INTERACTIVE exercises :
- "Find out the word made of the word under the picture and the suffix."
Quiz - Word Endings - (a4esl)
"Make a choice by clicking on the radio button, then compare it
with the correct answer hidden under the answer button."
: Match words (Many Things)
- Work - Worker (Verb to Noun/Occupation with the Suffix "-er")
- Sail - Sailor (Verb to Noun/Occupation with the Suffix "-or")
- Move - Movement (Verb to Noun with the Suffix "-ment")
- Leisure - Leisurely (Noun to Adjective with the Suffix "-ly")
- Aware - Awareness (Adjective to Noun with the Suffix "-ness")
- Create - Creation (Verb to Noun with the Suffix "-tion")
- Tempt - Temptation (Verb to Noun with the Suffix "-ation")
-ing : interactive exercise ( + er, ed and
est ) - (Teaching and Learning Resources)
Exercises TO PRINT :
- Suffixes (Chris Hardwidge) - activity
"SUFFIXES (make 2 sets of LH column). Spread out cards & take turns to match to create words & give example in sentences or use to invent new words giving definitions."
Words - prefixes / suffixes (Education World)
the way I do by Melissa Ethridge :
"Does she stimulate you, attract and captivate you?
Tell me does she miss you, existing just to kiss you like
the way I do?
Tell me does she want you, infatuate and haunt you
Does she know just how to shock you, electrify and rock
Does she inject you, seduce you and affect you like the
way I do?"
- Logical Song by Supertramp - Lesson Plan
"Duration: 3-4 periods ( each period lasts for 40 minutes )
- to practice listening comprehension
- to learn more adjectives describing people and their emotion
- to learn the poetic device – rhyming in songs
- to explore more information related to teen problems."
- The Logical
Song by Supertramp - avec activités :
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you
A radical, liberal, fanatical, criminal..."
Joker by Steve Miller :
"I'm a picker
I'm a grinner
I'm a lover
And I'm a sinner
I play my music in the sun..."
- -tion / -sion
- 'Music' by Steven Seagal (lyrics on the CD : Songs from
the Crystal Cave)
"Desperation, abomination, disintegration, degradation
.. the music will set us free"
Profusion by Madonna :
questions / solution / resurrection / confusion / profusion / vibration
/ direction / comprehension / isolation / destruction / celebration
with the VIDEO