Pros and Cons of Controversial Issues
"We promote critical thinking, education, and informed citizenship.
Our sites present controversial issues in a straightforward, nonpartisan, primarily pro-con format."
- ESL Discussions.com
English Conversation Questions & Speaking Activities
* There are currently 572 discussion topics to choose from.
* Use for ESL lessons, speaking practice, debate clubs, lesson add-ons,
* Students can form discussion groups for independent speaking practice.
* The speaking activities are on everyday themes and more controversial
* Each conversation lesson has ready-to-print Word and PDF downloads.
* There are 11,440 conversation questions here - That's a lot of discussion!
* 1,000 more lesson activities
"A work-scheme for Higher Intermediate & Advanced Level ESL
1. Alternative Beliefs 2. Animal Welfare 3. The Arts 4. Crime & Punishment
5. Cultural Differences 6. Economics 7. Education 8. Environment 9.
10. Food 11. Health 12. Holidays 13. Language Learning 14. Male &
Female Roles 15. Marriage 16. The Media 17. Political Systems 18.
19. Rich and Poor World 20. Science & Technology 21. Society 22. Sport
23. Traditions 24. Transport 25. Travel 26. Violence 27. Work
28. Youth & Old Age
General instructions - Grouping - Procedure - Explanation - Judgement
Vocabulary for debates and discussion - Pairwork discussion topics
INGENIOUS - Read
- Debate - See - Create :
"Ingenious is a new website that brings together images and viewpoints
to create insights into science and culture...
The site contains over 30,000 images which are used to illustrate
over 30 different subjects, topics and debates...
The key NMSI contributors to the site are the Science Museum, the
National Museum of Photography, Film & Television, the National Railway
Museum, the Science & Society Picture Library and the Science Museum
Some examples of debates :
Should governments censor material on the world wide web?
Is it ever justifiable to execute criminals?
Should laws be passed to limit gun ownership further?
Should human cloning be banned ? Should reproductive human
cloning always be prohibited?
Should we legalise the sale of human organs?
Should there be further restrictions on the advertising, selling,
and smoking of tobacco? Should it be banned?
Is it morally acceptable to experiment on non-human animals
to develop products and medicines that benefit human beings?
Should assisted suicide be legalised?
Should examinations be replaced with other forms of assessment?
Does Hollywood have a negative impact on the world?
- Lots of topics (eslflow)
- Speaking activities for debates, discussions and giving opinions
- Personalized opinion giving exercises
- Lessons & activities for teaching discussions
- Ranking Activities for Discussion Lessons
- Fact vs Opinion